Skillsets you need to Succeed as an IT Project Manager
What is an IT Project Manager?
An IT project manager oversees several tasks assigned to an IT team. They manage the planning process, execution, and implementation of specific teach-related goals.
Like any other project manager, IT project manager responsibilities include overseeing team members, and their related projects are an integral part of the position.
IT Project manager qualification
IT project manager qualifications often hold an abundance of relevant industry knowledge. A Successful IT project manager will have qualifications in the following.
- Advanced problem-solving skills relating to interpersonal issues to technical issues.
- Knowledge in security, hardware, software, network, etc.
- Excellent management skills in delegating tasks, scheduling, and resource planning
- Effective communication techniques with multiple team members and teams
- Advanced data management knowledge
- Technical understand in data summarization.
As recruiting experts, we’ve compiled a list of IT project manager skills that we think will be helpful.
Communicative:A key part of a successful project is effective communication. It is the project manager’s responsibility to relay information to others about the project at hand.
Unstressed: In most cases, this will be impossible. However, a manager will be part of a fast-moving environment with many projects and team members. Not only will they have to deal with a stressed team but they will experience stress themselves. They should know how to effectively react and handle it. Part of the project manager’s job is to deter chaos in the workplace. Again, everyone feeds off the project manager’s energy, so it is important that the project manager exudes calm amidst the stress.
Team Worker: A manager should facilitate collaboration within the team to accomplish goals more efficiently. Leaders are neither passive or dictatorial. Instead, they are part of the team. Encouraging teamwork will result in increased morale and productivity within the workplace.
Enthusiasm: An important facet of being a manager lies with caring about the work and the workers. Team members will pick up on and mirror the project manager’s attitude toward the project, so a successful one expresses enthusiasm with his or her team.
Leadership: A good IT project manager has to know when to delegate and who to delegate to. They should always be aware of deadlines and budget restraints to ensure the project is conducted accordingly.
Ethical: Project managers should be honest and adhere to moral standards. If they do so, the rest of the team is inclined to follow suit.
IT Project manager requirments
Similar to any other position, employers prefer candidates to hold a list of prerequisites. IT project manager requirements include the following.
- 5+ years’ experience as a PM
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with MS Office, including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project
- Strong background with MS Project or other project planning tools
- PMP Certification or other professional project certification
If you lack experience in the industry, you will need additional training. Although, the type of training depends on the role you seek. Furthermore, every new position has some sort of training involved. Here is a list of helpful training resources and certifications:
- Professional Scrum Master (PSM)
- EXIN Agile Scrum
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Information Technology Service Management (ITSM)
- Project Management in IT Security (PMITS)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Master Project Manager (MPM)
If you are considering moving into a position as an IT project manager, the time is better than ever. Projections in the tech industry continue to show growth. IT Resources Corp can help you polish up your resume and interviewing skills and direct you toward a job suited to your interest.
We work hard to place professionals with top companies nationwide. Our career counselors give you their personal attention throughout your job search; you are never just a number to us. Contact us today to get started.